HomeNewsPayPal Launches Stablecoin Amidst Circle's Announcement of USDC's International Dominance

PayPal Launches Stablecoin Amidst Circle’s Announcement of USDC’s International Dominance

- Advertisement -
  • 70% of USDC adoption hails from countries beyond the United States.
  • Circle’s global banking and liquidity network is actively expanding, with a focus on top-tier banks worldwide.

USDC’s International Traction

Jeremy Allaire, the CEO of Circle, recently communicated that the majority of the adoption for USD Coin (USDC) is not domestic. Specifically, about 70% of its utilization is stemming from nations outside the US. This disclosure is intriguing, especially given the general narrative which often emphasizes USDC’s primary association with the US.

Allaire’s tweet on Aug. 8, directed at his substantial following on Twitter, highlighted this trend. He expressed that the impressive overseas adoption rates challenge the notion that Circle is mainly US-centric. Allaire emphasized,

“We estimate that 70% of USDC adoption is non-US, and some of the fastest growing areas are emerging and developing markets.”

- Advertisement -

Significantly, areas like Asia, Latin America (LATAM), and Africa are among the quickest to adopt.

Interestingly, Paolo Ardoino, the CTO of Tether, another prominent stablecoin issuer, has expressed a similar sentiment. Earlier in February, Ardoino underscored that Tether (USDT) is viewed as a reliable tool particularly in emerging markets and burgeoning nations.

Beyond Adoption: PayPal and Market Dynamics

- Advertisement -

Allaire’s insights were shared around the same time as PayPal’s announcement of launching its own USD-pegged stablecoin named PayPal USD (PYUSD). Acknowledging this development, Allaire lauded both PayPal and Paxos, noting,

“It’s incredibly exciting to see such a significant internet and payments company entering the stablecoin space. This is what happens when we start to get regulatory clarity.”

Yet, 2023 has seen a dip in the supply of USDC. Factors such as decreased demand and heightened redemptions have led to its market share contracting to a mere 21%, which equates to a circulation of approximately $26.1 billion.

Allaire, on Aug. 8, addressed worries related to USDC’s liquidity. Confirming the prevailing trend, he mentioned,

“Over the past month, we’ve issued $5B USDC, and have redeemed $6.6B USDC.”

However, he sounded an optimistic note regarding Circle’s global banking and liquidity network, which is on a growth trajectory. The company is in collaboration with outstanding banks in significant regions globally.

Circle’s recent transparency report, published on Aug. 3, revealed that 93% of the Circle Reserve Fund is invested in short-dated U.S. Treasurys, overnight U.S. Treasury repurchase agreements, and cash. The remaining 7% is stationed as cash reserves in various banks, as per Circle’s statement. In another significant move, Circle announced in June that it had procured a Major Payment Institution license from the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

Best Crypto Exchange for Everyone:

  • Invest in Tether and 70+ cryptocurrencies and 3,000 other assets.
  • 0% commission on stocks – buy in bulk or just a fraction from as little as $10.
  • Copy top-performing traders in real time, automatically.
  • Regulated by financial authorities including FAC and FINRA.

2.8 Million Users

Get Started


- Advertisement -
ETHNews does not endorse and is not responsible for or liable for any content, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, or other materials on this page. Readers should do their own research before taking any actions related to cryptocurrencies. ETHNews is not responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods, or services mentioned.
Jack Williams
Jack Williams
As a Blockchain Analyst, I specialize in analyzing the performance of decentralized systems and optimizing their efficiency. Through data analysis, I provide insights on blockchain technology, smart contracts, and cryptocurrencies to help businesses make informed decisions and improve their operations.
- Advertisment -spot_img