- BUILD.5 is revolutionizing the integration of Confidential Computing, AI, and IOTA, bringing about a paradigm shift from centralized AI towards Federated Learning, which offers a scalable and privacy-centric alternative.
- BUILD.5 offers natural compatibility with contemporary application platforms such as OpenShift, allowing millions of developers to seamlessly interact with web3 technologies.
As we continue our deep dive into the world of Confidential Computing (CC) with Part 3 of this series, we shift our focus towards the transformative technology of Artificial Intelligence (AI), specifically, federated AI.
Part 3 of our CC Showcase explains how we use Artificial Intelligence, @iota, and CC to solve real world problems, like data deserts. Learn how we give more than 4.5 million app developers around the world radically simple access to web3 via BUILD.5.
Our platform is designed to… pic.twitter.com/VGD8XjRaDB
— BUILD.5 (@build5tech) August 1, 2023
Unraveling the Centralized AI Conundrum
Centralized AI, as seen with tools like ChatGPT, necessitates the accumulation and processing of vast quantities of data. This architecture has proven to be unscalable, which is evident as GPT-4 approaches its functional limits, despite housing over a trillion parameters. This necessitates the search for alternative approaches that can handle rising data transfer costs, latency issues, and the need for compatibility with privacy-sensitive sectors.
The Emergence of Federated Learning
This is where Federated Learning (FL) enters the scene. As a decentralized form of machine learning, FL leverages a global model to train itself across multiple devices and/or servers while keeping the data private and localized.
Recognizing the potential of FL to address the limitations of centralized AI, leading tech giants like IBM, NVIDIA, Intel, Microsoft, and Google are committing resources to this area. This is also in response to the limitations of current cloud environments, which are reaching bandwidth constraints requiring a redistribution of computational power closer to the device/user.
However, decentralization invariably raises new challenges related to security and privacy. This is where web3 operators such as BUILD.5 and the emerging field of confidential computing come in, promising to address these concerns and enable trust at every level of the technological stack.
The BUILD.5 Approach: Harnessing Modern Technologies
BUILD.5 is breaking new ground by seamlessly integrating web3 technologies with modern applications. Compatibility with Kubernetes-based platforms like IBM’s Supercomputer Vela and the Linux Foundation’s OpenFL, and interoperability with federated learning tools, allow millions of developers to access BUILD.5 with just a click.
Consider the scale of this integration through the lens of RedHat’s OpenShift, used by over 4.5 million developers and more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies. By facilitating such integration, BUILD.5 is poised to reach far more developers than the entire web3 industry combined, promising unparalleled innovation and productivity.
Case Study: Addressing ‘Data Deserts’
Let’s consider the issue of ‘data deserts’, situations where data collection is restricted due to privacy concerns or practical barriers. Here’s how BUILD.5 tackles this issue:
- Federated Learning allows AI models to be trained on local devices without transferring raw data, preserving privacy and complying with data regulations.
- Confidential Computing provides a secure enclave for data processing, ensuring data remains confidential and protected even during active use.
- The IOTA blockchain enhances trust and security by providing a transparent, immutable record of all transactions and interactions in the FL process.
- IoT devices, ubiquitous and capable of generating vast amounts of data, play a key role in combating data deserts. These devices serve as nodes in the FL system, enabling distributed learning and real-time model updates.
- BUILD.5 platform, by integrating these technologies, offers a unified, efficient solution to data desert issues.
BUILD.5 exemplifies a unique approach in the web3 realm by embracing integration with modern application architectures rather than viewing centralization as an adversary. This critical perspective recognizes that the first wave of blockchain users will come from web2 building into web3, not the reverse. Like the protocols that created the modern internet, BUILD.5’s integrated stack of FL, CC, and Blockchain could revolutionize data utilization by decentralizing the core aspects of Cloud, AI, and the trust layers they rely on.