- Polygon leads the L2 pack with up to 7,000 transactions per second (TPS) and a wide range of DeFi applications.
- Arbitrum, backed by former White House Deputy CTO Ed Felton, offers a unique approach to scalability, with a significant Total Value Locked (TVL) of $3.3 billion.
The Evolution of Layer 2: Beyond Ethereum’s Limitations
Navigating the ever-expanding universe of Ethereum, one can’t help but encounter the bottleneck issues that plague this powerhouse of smart contracts. It’s no secret that Ethereum’s Mainnet struggles with congestion and high fees, hindering optimal scalability. Enter Layer 2 (L2) solutions: the secondary networks seamlessly integrated with Ethereum’s Layer 1 (L1), designed to offload transactional bulk and offer a more fluid, cost-effective experience.
The Heavyweights of Ethereum L2 Solutions
- Polygon (MATIC): This solution is to Ethereum what local roads are to highways. It relieves congestion by conducting transactions off the main chain. Boasting a remarkable 7,000 TPS—far outpacing Ethereum’s 13-17 TPS—Polygon employs a proof-of-stake (PoS) architecture. Those holding MATIC tokens can become validators, thus participating in transaction verification and earning rewards. With a Total Value Locked (TVL) of $4 billion and nearly 900 decentralized applications (DApps), Polygon offers a compelling use case for scalability.
- Arbitrum: Coming on the scene in May 2021, this newcomer has shown tremendous potential. Developed by Offchain Labs and backed by former White House Deputy CTO Ed Felton, Arbitrum optimizes L1 transactions using its unique Arbitrum Virtual Machine. Although lacking its own token, its reliance on Ethereum ensures high security with substantially reduced fees.
- Loopring (LRC): Loopring stands apart through its use of zero-knowledge (ZK) rollups, which enhances data throughput and security. This platform specializes in fast and cheap payments and decentralized exchanges. The ZK rollup approach inherently verifies transactions, allowing for faster withdrawal times compared to both Polygon and Arbitrum.
- Immutable X: The brainchild of Australian brothers Robbie and James Ferguson, Immutable X is the go-to Layer 2 protocol for NFT marketplaces. Partnering with StarkWare, they employ validity-proof rollups, which ensures that only transactions approved by the user get processed. With zero gas fees and 9,000 TPS, this platform has attracted a slew of major partnerships.
- xDai Chain: Particularly suited for traders focusing on token transfers, xDai offers a stablecoin pegged to the USD, in addition to its scalability solutions. With proof-of-stake consensus, users can stake xDai to secure the network and earn rewards. A notable milestone was its successful distribution of meals during ETHDenver 2019 at a negligible transaction cost.
While Ethereum 2.0 looms on the horizon with promises of enhanced scalability, these L2 solutions continue to play a critical role. They offer a pragmatic approach to bypassing Ethereum’s limitations, serving as more than just a temporary fix but as essential cogs in the complex Ethereum ecosystem.
>> Buy Polygon quickly and securely with PayPal, credit card or bank transfer at eToro with low fees and deposit protection. Get started with MATIC now. Visit Website <<
Best Crypto Exchange for Everyone:
- Invest in Polygon and 70+ cryptocurrencies and 3,000 other assets.
- 0% commission on stocks – buy in bulk or just a fraction from as little as $10.
- Copy top-performing traders in real time, automatically.
- Regulated by financial authorities including FAC and FINRA.
2.8 Million Users